Our thoughts go out to all our customers affected by the bush fires over the past week and Sydney Water is doing everything it can to help our customers in fire affected areas.
We are working closely with the NSW Rural Fire Service and NSW Fire Brigades to make sure they have the water they need to continue protecting homes and we have also been topping up reservoirs in the Blue Mountains to meet the increased demand for water.
We also have crews in the fire-affected areas maintaining the water supply and wastewater systems.
However in areas where customers are fighting fires, it’s possible water pressure may be low due to extremely heavy demand for fire fighting.
If you are experiencing any issues with your water supply or wastewater service due to the fires, please call our emergency help line on 13 20 90.
If your water meter has been damaged by the fires call 13 20 90 immediately. Do not attempt to fix or remove your meter, due to a possible electrical hazard.
Sydney Water will not charge customers for water used while fighting the bush fires.
For customers in areas not affected by fires, you can help conserve water by following the common sense Water Wise Rules:
- Watering, including with sprinklers and irrigation systems, is allowed any day before 10 am and after 4 pm to avoid the heat of the day.
- All hand held hoses must have a trigger nozzle.
- No hosing of hard surfaces such as paths and driveways.
- Washing vehicles is allowed.
- Fire hoses may be used for fire fighting activities only.